... I Just Don't Feel Like Growing Up

If you've ever thought about packing up the car and taking off for places you've never seen, well, you can do it! Of course, this involves quitting your job, moving to another state and living off of your savings (and answering your parents' questions on "When exactly do you plan on growing up?") but it's healthier than trying out for Survivor and less likely to give you a transmissible disease than sleeping with a 21 year old unemployed musician (mmm... drummers). Anyway, this blog is about my upcoming Western States/Parks road trip in May 2011. If you have input, insight, advice, or have an extra couch and washer/dryer which you would enjoy being occupied by a smelly, semi-homeless 37 year old woman, then I'd like to hear from you!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Frost erythema and other non-related crap

Lately I've taken to sleeping on the other side of the bed. That side I haven't slept on in almost 18 years. Seriously.

So after the obstinate moron/dog (Sadie) refused to move over on the bed YET AGAIN (hey, I have access to euthanasia solution, don't piss me off!) I merely walked over and got in on the other side. Let me just say that it was revolutionary! If you haven't tried it, you should. Right now. If you are lucky enough to have a bed partner, tell them to move. The mattress will feel firmer, the pillows softer, the blankets warmer, and you will sleep like Amy Winehouse after a tequila and valium bender. The cats were moderately to markedly confused, however, depending upon their level of vision (Iggy - moderate confusion but adaptable) and cortical processing (Hatch - marked confusion and pacing). Sadie merely licked her ass and farted. It was a banner night.

Anyway, I picked up several hiking books today at Barnes and Noble (thanks SCVECCS!), along with Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey (shout out to you, Andy Bidwell!). I also dropped serious bank at Clintonville Outfitters for a set of waterproofs. For a second I thought, "Hey, I could get this crap at Sierra Trading Post for $39 a piece!!!!", but then I realized that appropriately waterproofed waterproof gear could be the difference between life and slow death by hypothermia, and I couldn't whip out my MasterCard fast enough. Interestingly enough, the states with the three highest death rates due to hypothermia are Montana, Alaska (duh!) and New Mexico (wha?). Usually alcohol plays some role - here I reference the Mythbusters episode where Jamie and Adam lock themselves in a cooler and drink scotch - so I am obviously at risk. What with that love for Franzia and all. And, hypothermia-related deaths usually occur in moderate climates where the victim is unprepared for sudden dampness or change in temperature.

If you research symptoms for hypothermia, the one listed first by WebMD is "low body temperature". Now I don't know about you, but I think I might have figured this one out on my own, and without packing a rectal thermometer in the first aid kit. (On the other hand, I now have a keychain compass... squeeee!)

To this end, I read an excellent review of hypothermia in Forensic Science, Medicine and Pathology 2010. Interestingly enough, "paradoxical undressing" - the phenomenon of removing one's clothing while freezing to death - is a common finding among victims of hypothermia. This often leads to the erroneous belief that the victim was assaulted prior to death. A rather disturbing description of frost erythema follows, which is a red to brownish discoloration over the extensor surfaces of joints. Commonly affected areas include the knees, elbows, face, and rarely the "male genitalia" (OUCH!!!).

Why go into this, you ask? Because I'm currently researching campgrounds in the Hoh Rainforest in Olympic National Park. Given the name, I assume it will be wet. And cold, especially in mid-May. And I want to be prepared.

Oh, and road trip starts in T-20 days. Check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment