... I Just Don't Feel Like Growing Up

If you've ever thought about packing up the car and taking off for places you've never seen, well, you can do it! Of course, this involves quitting your job, moving to another state and living off of your savings (and answering your parents' questions on "When exactly do you plan on growing up?") but it's healthier than trying out for Survivor and less likely to give you a transmissible disease than sleeping with a 21 year old unemployed musician (mmm... drummers). Anyway, this blog is about my upcoming Western States/Parks road trip in May 2011. If you have input, insight, advice, or have an extra couch and washer/dryer which you would enjoy being occupied by a smelly, semi-homeless 37 year old woman, then I'd like to hear from you!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 23 – To Olympic or not?


Elevation = 573 ft
Song of the Day = “Creola” by Jimmy Buffett

I start the day in a quandary… do I drive to Olympic National Park or skip it and head to the San Juans? I download the schedules for the ferries to Orcas Island… if I move quickly, I can make it to Port Townsend by tonight, then catch the ferry to Coupeville, drive to Anacortes and then take the ferry to Orcas Island tomorrow. Hmmmm, such a quandary. Well, I decide to figure it out later and enjoy US-101 up the coast.

I miss the tsunami drill thanks to an inland short-cut courtesy of Mike (delicious breakfast of waffles with blackberries, homemade beer bread, sausage, fresh kiwi and the most wonderful coffee ever… check out the Craftsman B&B in Pacific City!!!!!!!! Strong props to you, Mike!!!)

I drive on 101 through several more touristy towns in Oregon. Outside of Seaside, I pass a sign advertising helicopter rides for $39. I have an, oh, 30 second fierce internal argument before turning around. “You have to make it to Port Townsend tonight! You’ll never make it at this rate!!!!”, says the rational side. “Helicopter ride!!!!! WHHHHEEEEEEEEE!!!!! How fun!!!!”, says the other, more insistent side.  I’ve never been in a helicopter before. I turn around. Unfortunately, they are closed. Bummer. 
Views along 101 on the Washington Coast

I take a series of turns to reach the Olympic Peninsula after crossing into Washington. I stop at a lonely roadside stand outside of Hoaquim, WA. “Best burgers again, 2011, Three Cities Area!!! The sign proclaims. I can’t remember the name (although the burger certainly stays with you, ugh).
Finally, after traversing mud flats, lonely highways, mountains, sloughs, and tidal pools, I reach the Quinault Indian Reservation at Queets (remember, best gas prices anywhere are on the reservations). The sky is crystal blue without a single cloud. I chat involuntarily with a horribly, staggeringly drunk old man while filling up my car. It turns out that they are having very uncharacteristic weather… no rain forecasted for days, while it normal rains constantly this time of year. I call my dad to check the weather forecast. Yep, clear. It turns out we are going to Olympic National Park…. And the Hoh Rainforest (which is magically dry!)
Hey! Who you calling a Hoh?

It seems that the Hoh Rainforest doesn’t get many visitors at this time of year. The entrance station is unstaffed. Two of the three campground loops are closed, and the one that is open is only 1/3 full. I find a great site along the Hoh River. Excellent. And once I get camp set up… it rains. Only for 20 minutes. Then blue skies again. Perfection.
Campsite 14, Hoh Rainforest, Olympic National Park

I am good at some things, but putting up a tarp is not one of them. This poor attempt took almost an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment